Home ➥ Services ➥ Foster Care ➥ Fostering Teens
One reason families choose not to foster teenagers is because they fear the children have done something to "land them in foster care.” But, like most kids in the system, teens are typically in foster care due to neglect or abuse in their homes. If you are considering fostering, please take a second (or first) look at fostering a teen. Here's a short list of the perks, but there are lots more!
- No diapers to change
- They sleep through the night
- They'll keep you up to date on the latest fashion trends
- No bottles, formula, or burp rags required
- They can learn from you, and you'll learn from them
- They'll keep you up-to-date with social media
- They are not typically morning people. No 4 am feedings, no 6 am diaper changes, no 7 am wake up to Bubble Guppies or Doc McStuffins. You get to sleep in!
- Because all kids grow up to be teens eventually
Because where would you be in life without the support of YOUR parents?
Some people say they prefer babies because they like witnessing the “firsts”—first steps, first words, etc. With teens, there are still plenty of “firsts” and they are every bit as important when it comes to a happy childhood. Sometimes all it takes to make these first moments meaningful is acknowledging their importance.
First driver’s license
First day of high school
All joking aside, there are hundredsof teens in foster care in Omaha who are facing tomorrow knowing they are completely alone. With acceptance and understanding, you can help change a teen's life by offering a loving, committed environment to live and grow—a real home with patient people who care—and the freedom to dream of a happier future…as all kids deserve.
Contact Joan today to find out how you can help turn a teen into a successful young adult: 402-504-3649 or firstname.lastname@example.org.